What Happens Next?
Having decided that you would like to participate in The Great Adventure Challenge, there are a number of key simple steps that you and your team will need to follow to ensure you and your team are ready and raring to go come race day:
- Official welcome by Starlight
- Invitation to Information Evening.
- A Fundraising Team Page will be set up by Starlight for you.
- Opportunity to discuss planning and preparation ideas with Starlight.
- Organise initial team meeting
- Establish a common goal for the event.
- Talk about what each individual wants to get from the experience.
- Understand individual fitness levels and capabilities.
- Agree on the frequency of team meetings.
- Get key dates scheduled into respective diaries e.g. Information Evening and of course race day!
- Pick a team captain.
- Assign team roles and responsibilities.
- Split the meeting into fundraising and training needs.
- Develop a fundraising strategy.
- Schedule group training sessions and identify potential warm up events.
- Host subsequent team meetings
- Discuss fundraising progress and activities as well as developments in training.
- Host various fundraising events
- Arrange accommodation and hire of MTBs for race day
- Attend Information Evening
- The Information Evening will give you all the information you need for fundraising goals, race day and answer any questions you may have.
- Navigation training will be provided to help prepare teams for the challenges that they will face on race day, including navigation, biking and kayak skills.
- Pre-Race Day meeting
- Make sure everyone has the necessary kit to carry with them for the event.
- Check that all four MTBs are serviced and are in good order to race with on the day.
- Discuss which team member’s mobile phone will be going out on course with the team for the duration of the event and make sure you have a waterproof case for the phone and other items you need to protect during the event.
- Workout how you are all getting to the event and that you have the right directions. Carpool wherever possible.
- Make sure everyone brings enough food and drink to last the day.
- Race day!
Please note, all teams will automatically be included on The Great Adventure Challenge mailing list and receive tips on everything from training and fundraising through to event updates and general news.
For additional information and updates on The Great Adventure Challenge, we also strongly encourage all participants to check the website Latest News page for additional information and updates as well as The Great Adventure Challenge Facebook page.